Guidance No. 4:
What To Avoid While Writing An Essay:
- Inexact Phraseology-illogical or incongruous expressions as He heard a shriek. It was an old woman being strangled by the burglars. A shriek cannot be an old woman. The sentence should be written as ” He heard a shriek. It was made by an old woman being strangled by the burglars”.
- Tautology (different words expressing the same idea). When Khan Liaquat Ali Khan was murdered, there was universal mourning by everyone. (Use either ‘ universal ‘ or ‘ everyone.)
- Redundancy: (The use of more words that are required-such writing gives rhetorical effect).
(i) Unless and until you speak out, I shall not leave you. (Use either ‘ unless ‘ or ‘ until).
(ii) Let us mutually help each other. (Omit either mutually, or ‘ each other).
- Repetition: Repetition has got a very monotonous effect on the reader. Repetition when badly used, instead of musical effect, produces grating noise. ” I was of the opinion that a woman must assert their rights. I am of the opinion that they must do it even now. I shall be of the opinion that the woman must do it in future also”. The best attempt would be, ” I was of the opinion that a woman must assert their rights. I still say so and will say in future also”.
- Verbosity: (Use of many words where a few should suffice). ” The two friends took a pledge that they would stand by each other in adversity and help each other in all other odds of life.” Write ” The two friends pledged to help each other in adversity.”
- Periphrasis: (A roundabout statement). She came out of the sacred edifice and when asked whether the beadsman was inside, gave the answer in the negative. Rewrite ” She came out of the church and, when asked whether the beadsman was inside, replied that he was not.”
- Pedantry: (Saying simple things in learned language). Under unfavourable climatic conditions, the aeroplane could not take off. Prefer- ” In bad weather, the aeroplane could not take off.
- Archaic words: (Old words and phrases). ” Me-thinks, that the spouse of my neighbour had left for Dacca. ” Write,” I think, that the wife of my neighbour had left for Dacca. “
You Might Be Interested In:
- Foreign words: When the equivalent English word is available, do not use foreign words. ” Sottovoce I had a tete-a-tete with a literature ” -Prefer,” In a low voice, I had an intimate conversation with a literary man. ”
- Technical terms: (terms used in particular professions-law, medicine, science, etc,). ” The land, he mortgaged was lying camouflaged and none could see the alkaline covering “. Avoid frequent use of such words as given in italics.
- Vulgarism: (A phrase or word in common use but not used by the ‘ genteel ‘). ‘ That gent’s kid is in bad biz. ‘ Use ‘ That gentleman’s child is in bad business. ‘
- Colloquialism: (Used in conversation but not in writing). ” He failed in Math is Secondary School Examination “. Write” He failed in Mathematics in the Secondary School Examination “.
- Slang: Slang should be avoided in writing. It is not at all approved by the good stylists. ” If you mug up the material, you may get through the examination “. Write” If you get the material by heart, you may get through the examination “
- Hackneyed Expressions or cliche’s: (Worn out, old expressions). Avoid the use of: (i) To kill two birds with one stone. To burn the midnight oil. Rome is not built in a day, etc.
- Abbreviations: Essay is the test of your spelling. Do not use abbreviations. ” The Govt, of Pakistan has provided loudspeaker at the Rly. Stations.” Write ‘ Government, ‘ ‘ Railway Station ‘ as full words.
- Bad spelling and punctuation: Nobody tolerates a spelling mistake. Use only those words about which you are sure. If doubt arises, substitute a different word. If an event, which has taken place in the past, is narrated, use past-tense. Avoid frequent use of I, we, you, he etc. Do not criticize the subject for its being difficult or otherwise. While writing an essay, the writer is like a river in spate. There are likely to be many pen-slips. Revise your essay.
“What To Avoid While Writing An Essay”
“What To Avoid While Writing An Essay”